104 West Oak Street
In 1989, Judd purchased the three buildings along Oak Street on five and a half lots of property in downtown Marfa. The 1,253-foot adobe-style structure dates to the 1920s and was named after the family who previously owned it. Judd began construction of an exterior wall to encircle the Cobb House and neighboring Whyte Building along with an adjoining Gate House in 1990.
Originally a single-family residence, Judd remodeled the Cobb House to serve as a suitable space to install his early paintings—abstract multicolored works dating from 1956 to 1958. It contains the single largest collection of Judd’s early paintings. Installed throughout the house are furniture pieces collected by Judd, including examples of early 20th Century Swedish furniture and Shaker furniture. Judd transformed the residential structure—which once included bedrooms, kitchen, and bathroom—into a more open floor plan. He refinished the walls and ceilings with an adobe-style gypsum plaster, similar to one that he used in his studio on the third floor of 101 Spring Street in New York. The exterior was plastered with a smooth, white stucco finish.
The Gate House was created as an entry to the Cobb House and Whyte Building. There were designs for a pool, a building with bathrooms and a kitchen, and a surrounding adobe wall, but they were never realized. The Gate House was a former barbershop and record store which now houses a Judd-designed slate table and four prototype chairs. The exterior adobe wall was intended to fully enclose the complex and was intentionally left in its natural state, running 140-feet along the exterior of the property. On the west end of the wall, Judd incorporated a large niche that he intended to function as a weekend fruit and vegetable stand.